Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sleeping bag for a baby shower

I can't believe how long it has been since I last blogged! Things have been busy here, with a new job for me, my little one turning one, four trips to emergency, food poisoning, flu and illness. As I type my 2 year old has chicken pox and I'm waiting to see if the one year old has it - gah!

But in the midst of all that, I have been sewing. I've got a few projects on the go at the moment that I'll blog over the next few weeks as I complete them.

One of my very good friends is nine weeks away from having a baby (actually, two very good friends are 9 weeks away from having a baby - but more about that in another post). I knew I wanted to make her a sleeping bag, but didn't know which fabric to use, especially as her baby's sex is a surprise. But after seeing her nursery, all decked out in an owl theme, I knew the perfect fabric - Alexander Henry's spotted owl. Typically, Hawthorne Threads was out of stock, but the lovely Jen came to my aid by sending me some of her stash (thanks Jen - I owe you!)

I'm really proud of this sleeping bag. I made it up as I went along, which probably doesn't seem that impressive as it's such a simple shape, but I put a lot of thought into how to quilt the outside without quilting the lining, and it was my first time sewing a concealed zip (not sure of the technical name - lapped zipper perhaps?). I also am managed to conceal the zipper tape between the lining and main fabric, and am really happy with the outcome.

I used two layers of ultra soft cotton and bamboo blend inside the bag, and quilted it using vertical lines, two inches apart. Because I used a natural filling, the sleeping bag will take a little longer to dry, but I much prefer natural fibres to polyester, which is used in most commercial sleeping bags.

The lining is a Kaffe Fassett cotton. I can't believe how soft it is - easily the softest quilting cotton I have ever come across. It's a bluey/purple colour and hopefully suitable for a boy or girl. I also used this fabric to bind the arm and neck holes. I hand-stitched these for a neat finish.

I'm giving this to my friend at her baby shower this weekend and really hope she likes it! I really must make some more sleeping bags for my little one, as I really enjoyed the process and it'll be fun to match his sleeping bags to his sheets.


The completed sleeping bag. I made to fit from 6-18 months - so the baby can use it next Winter - and it took pretty much the full length of a yard of fabric.


The arm and neck holes, bias-bound using the lining fabric. I also sewed a guard to protect the baby's neck from the zipper.


I concealed the zipper tape between the lining and outer fabric (for looks and comfort). The inside is not quilted.


I included a fabric 'guard' to protect the baby's clothing from getting caught in the zipper.


My first ever concealed (not invisible) zipper. Hurrah!

4 comments:

  1. Claire my friend, you are seriously talented girl!!! That sleeping bag is fantastic. I want one - actually I need one for Harry! I have another yard of the fabric sitting in my stash. If I send it to you, maybe it might come back as a beautiful sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Jen! Happy to make one for you or send through the instructions - whichever you'd rather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute, I just love your fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete