Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lazy day hat

I'm a bit behind on the blog, this is a hat I made about six weeks ago. I feel terrible as I initially bought the pattern to make for my son, but so far have only made one for my daughter (my excuse - my son's six month old head is growing at a rapid rate and I don't want to 'waste' the cute fabric I bought to make him a hat that he will outgrow before next summer).

The pattern is the lazy day hat by Make it Perfect. It's a great pattern and is pretty forgiving of some dodgy, messy sewing from me. I suspect I'll be using it a lot over the coming years. As it is my daughter goes through about 3-4 hats per week... the ones she wears at home get covered in vegemite/dirt/crayon, and the ones she wears to daycare get covered in paint. The constant washing wears them down a bit.

As the hat is reversible I used two fabrics from Sandi Henderson's Farmer's Market range - the pink medallion bloom and the stripes. I adore these fabrics! In hindsight, using a striped fabric on a round hat was never going to work, so my daughter just wears the hat one way. The stripes do look cute peeking out from the 'lining' though.

I'll definitely be making more of these hats. I am picturing hats to match my daughter's dresses next summer, and of course I have two hats ready to sew for my son next summer, one with little frogs and one with rockets and aliens.


Although it's reversible, my daughter only wears the hat this way. Just love that fabric!


And this is why... those stripes on the round hat make just aren't right.


But they do look cute peeking out as the 'lining'.


My little sweet pea wearing the hat on her way to the merry-go-round on her 2nd birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love this pattern - I made heaps over the summer and plan for more next year.
    Love yours - the stripes make a lovely lining for the Sandi Henderson.

    ReplyDelete