Friday, July 22, 2011

The Urban Hoodie

I first bought the pattern for the Urban Unisex Hoodie (from Heidi and Finn) about a year ago now I guess. I loved it as soon as I saw it but have put off sewing it as I've never sewn with knit before.

A couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and started two new knit projects, one of which is the hoodie, and the other I will blog about soon. And what do you know, sewing with knit isn't hard at all... unless we're talking attaching rib binding, which I'm not... in this post.

This is a great little pattern. It's a fairly simple shape and it unisex, which is a bonus in our house. I sewed this version using a couple of cheap remnants - a blue interlock and a black and grey striped rib knit.

I have read a few reviews saying that the sizing runs small in this pattern, especially around and under the arms. With that in mind I halved the seam allowance and it makes for a really nice fit on my little boy.

The only thing I didn't like about this pattern was that fact that the lining and main fabric at the bottom of the hoodie is stitched together before the band is attached. It makes it kind of clunky to sew. Apart from that, I really recommend this pattern and will be making more for my kids.


The finished hoodie. I wish I had stretched the bottom band on as I'd sewn it. I will next time.


This is the best modelling shot I could get, but you can get a pretty good idea of the fit and general look of the top here.


View from behind. I love the blue poking out from the hood. I also love that my wee boy is hugging his teddy and sucking his thumb here. At nearly two my baby thinks he is a big boy now and getting so independent. It's nice to see him slip back to baby mode once in a while!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! The blue lining and buttons are awesome.

    I'd love to make these for my boys if I wasn't too scared to sew knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Claire! I love both the fabrics you've used.

    Must pull this pattern out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love the fabrics you have chosen and the blue lining is great. I didnt really read the instructions of the pattern, so didnt bother sewing the outer and lining before adding the ribbing at the bottom. I cant believe how big Master T is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I too can't figure out why they have you stitch the bottom first and then again. All the hoodies I've made no longer fit so I'll have to make a few more for this Fall. I do love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never sewn with knit before either but have been in love with this pattern for a while! You have given me inspiration that it's doable! THanks.

    ReplyDelete